This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
- Close relationship between facility and pharmacy enable realization of benefits quickly
- Smaller number of systems allows broad access in a very short time frame
- Potential for impacting adverse drug events (ADEs) and Medication errors is significant
- Although the size of the population is small compared to the ambulatory market the number of medications per resident is far greater, an average of 10 per resident and acuity levels are far higher
- In July 2006 the Institute of Medicine's report on "Preventing Medication Errors" states 800,000 preventable ADEs each year in LTC setting alone
- Source: http://www.iom.edu/Object.File/Master/35/943/medication%20errors%20new.pdf
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide