This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Minnesota's patient consent requirements
- Patient consent is required for nearly all disclosures, including treatment
- Limited exception to consent requirement
- Medical emergency
- Record movement within "related" health care entities
- Written consent (signed & dated) is required
- Consent generally expires in one year
- Or ... a representation from a provider that holds a signed and dated consent from the patient authorizing the release
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide