This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Rationale for sharing an abstract instead of the entire record
- Contents are bounded & defined
- A better first step for a public wary of confidentiality breaches
- Patients "get it." They understand the value of a concise clinical abstract for themselves and their providers
- Avoiding sensitive content means easier consenting & wider use
- While not the entire record, clinicians endorse the abstract as having high clinical value
- The abstract's succinctness is preferred by some emergency room physicians
- Interoperability across vendor platforms should be easier
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide