This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
- Challenge: Variation created by state privacy and security laws
- State law governing privacy and security is scattered, fragmented, sometimes inconsistent or contradictory within a state, and frequently does not apply sensibly to electronic exchange.
- Solution: 9 states implementing solutions related to state law
- Producing a catalog of existing relevant statutes and administrative regulations
- Developing a road map of current P&S laws/statutes
- Developing model legislation to harmonize on multistate issues such as consent
- Completing a legal analysis to determine what changes need to be made to ensure privacy and security
- Reforming state privacy laws to address electronic HIE
- Drafting legislation for 2008 session
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide