This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Summary: Adoption and Workflow
- eRx w/ advanced transactional capabilities can be rapidly adopted by small, community-based practices
- PMS integration, no license fee + small incentive
- Large (>2/3) dependence on surrogates
- Implications for decision support and safety benefits unclear
- Policy guidance? P4P?
- Big impact on efficiency and communication channels, but...
- Paper-based internal communication still predominates
- Faxing is tough to beat re: overall resource requirements
- Opportunity for additional efficiency with more pharmacy participation plus true e-messaging within the practices
- Conventional wisdom challenged:
- eRenewals drive adoption (?)
- Surrogates provide bridge to MD adoption (?)
- eRx is a stepping stone to a full EMR (?)
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide