This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Summary Plan Description (SPD) Language
- Breast Cancer: Normal Risk
- Mammography and CBE for average risk women aged 40 to 80 once per calendar year. Younger women may qualify for screening if medically indicated.
- Breast Cancer: High-Risk
- Counseling on Testing & Preventive Medication and Preventive Treatment
- Counseling provided as medically indicated and at least once before and once after a BRCA mutation test
- BRCA Mutation Testing
- Preventive Treatment
- Surgical removal of the breast(s) with or without reconstructive surgery
- Surgical removal of the ovaries
- Preventive Medication
- All FDA-approved breast cancer preventive medications (e.g., tamoxifen) for 5 years—may be extended if medically necessary
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide