This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Are Overrides Appropriate?
- 7,761 drug-allergy alerts in BWH inpatients, Aug-Oct 2002
- Alerts were overridden 80% of the time
- In chart review of 300 overrides, all were clinically justified
- Evidence that we are over-alerting
- Only 6% of alerts were triggered by an exact match between drug ordered and drug in allergy list (lots of potential noise)
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide