This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
What is Medication Reconciliation?
Medication reconciliation impacts all patients at NMH who receive medications.
- A systematic process to decrease medication errors and associated patient harm by:
- Obtaining, confirming and documenting the patient's complete list of medications upon admission
- Comparing and screening this list against the medications prescribed
- Reconciling (resolving) unintended medication discrepancies
- Communicating an updated medication list, highlighting any changes, to the patient and next provider of service upon discharge
- The Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goal #8
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide