This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
- Before Change
- Previous Shift Prep: Outgoing charge nurse or shift leader makes staff assignments for the oncoming nurses.
- During Change
- Unit-at-a-Glance: High level overview of patient's on the unit (similar to Unit system list). Charge RNs or shift leaders use to give handoff to each other.
- My Brain: printed summary of patient data compiled by nurse for the oncoming nurse. Reviewed by oncoming nurse prior to face-to-face handoff.
- Bedside Round: Outgoing and oncoming nurses meet at bedside to turnover care. Face-to-face shift change. ISBAR report out
- Patient Care Board: a whiteboard in the patient's room where daily goals and projected discharge info are written during bedside round. Teach Back
- During Shift
- The Neuron: An electronic shift change database updated by nurses and unit assistants. Reports from database can be used for exchange of info on the unit and with ancillary services, Bed Control and hospitalists.
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide