This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Key Lessons (2)
- For other technologies, national adoption costs more than it saves
- National adoption of all other technologies cost money in net
- CDSS achieves positive cost-benefit for practices with more than six physicians
- Economies of scale vary widely
- CDSS show strong economies of scale, due to the high cost of knowledge management
- Payer technologies show strong economies of scale, due to negotiating leverage of large organizations
- Patient technologies show weak economies of scale, due to high patient associated costs (e.g. individual devices)
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide