This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Value of HIEI: Key Findings
- Standardized, encoded, electronic healthcare information exchange would:
- Save the US healthcare system $337B over a 10-year implementation period
- Save $78B in each year thereafter
- Total provider net benefit from all connections is $34B
- Net benefits to other stakeholders:
- Payers $22B
- Pharmacies $1B
- Laboratories $13B
- Public Health $0.1B
- Radiology centers $8B
- Dramatically reduce the administrative burden associated with manual data exchange
- Decrease unnecessary utilization of duplicative laboratory and radiology tests
First, let me share with you the Headlines, or the punch lines, of our analysis.
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide