This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Diabetes in the U.S.
- U.S. prevalence: 14.6 million diagnosed, 6.2 million undiagnosed
- Our research focuses on Type-2 diabetes
- 90-95% of all diabetics
- Impaired response to insulin to regulate blood sugar
- Tremendous annual incidence of co-morbidity
- Every day diabetics across the country suffer harm:
- 33 people become blind
- 118 begin treatment for kidney failure
- 225 undergo lower extremity amputations
- Estimated direct cost of $92 Billion in 2002
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide