This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
8. Public Health Investigation
- Cases reported through other means (e.g., laboratory reporting)
- "shoe leather" epidemiology can be time consuming and labor intensive
- Rapid investigation feasible ("armchair")
- Public health authorization to receive clinical data
A graphic depicts how individual care providers contact a data sources. Provider asks for and receives records (This step is highlighted with a large number 8). Data sources send records to provider through message transfer.
"etch server model"
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide