This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Promoting Healthy Families Study Design
The slide presents a flow chart of the study design.
The study begins with an evaluation point: pre-intervention provider survey and patient exit surveys.
The first office intervention: PDA screener/counseling system. There are three options following the PDA screening.
- No risk behaviors, 30% (low-obesity risk families screened, not studied). These families were not invited to participate in the study and were given a Healthy Families educational handout from PCP.
- Risk behaviors 40%, Weight less than 85% BMI (Office intervention). These families were not invited to participate in the study and were given a Healthy Families educational handout from PCP
- Risk behaviors 30%, 85 to 94% and over 95% BMI (Office intervention). These families were invited to participate in study. They received clinician counseling intervention. Evaluation point: 2 week telephone recruitment/survey. After the evaluation, there were three alternatives:
- Post intervention: 4 week DVD, 8 week newsletter, 14 week pedometer and newsletter 2, and 18 week newsletter 3.
- Post intervention: generic mailing.
- Post intervention: 12 week mailed survey, 24 week follow-up survey/ BMI measurement.
All groups in the survey had an evaluation at 16 weeks (a provider survey and patient exit survey).
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide