This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
- Working longer than scheduled was normal
Nurses rarely left work at the end of their scheduled shift (19%, 13%)
- They averaged almost an hour (55 minutes, 49 minutes)
- Overtime was less frequent when nurses worked 12-hour shifts
(79% versus 85%). ANA Sample
- The frequency of mandatory overtime varied
- ANA Sample 360 shifts (7%) were mandated and
143 voluntary overtime shifts (3%) were coerced
- AACN Sample 263 shifts (16.5%) were mandated and
152 voluntary overtime shifts (12.3%) were coerced
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide