This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Two Approaches to Drug Names
- Complete set of (standard) drug names.
- Only RxNorm Clinical Drugs are not enough,
- Doctors want brand names too, sometimes.
- May want to formulate creams, cocktails, etc.
- Didn't seem satisfactory in testing with end-users.
- Regenstrief system has a manually fine-tuned set of drug names.
- New: Post-coordinated approach
- As prescriber types in the drug name, we parse it and fill a description template similar to SPL.
- Can be used to query for matching medicines.
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide