This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Structured Product Labeling (SPL)
- HL7 v3 Standard, Sponsored by FDA
- 2004/5 Electronic Labeling Guidance (SPL R2)
- Includes medication model
- 2005/6 Physicians Labeling Rule (PLR, SPL R3)
- Includes clinical knowledge model
- 2006/7 Launch of DailyMed
- Now contains over 3257 SPL labels
- Currently only original innovator labels
- 2007/8? E-Listing Rule (SPL R4, in preparation)
- Will include all marketed drugs (covering all drug NDC codes)
- Provisions for devices, veterinary, and dietary supplements, food labels included in SPL R4
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide