This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Healthcare Associated Infections (HAI):
Important Patient Safety Issue
- HAI rates have risen over the last 30 years
- 2 million cases annually
- 500,000 occur in ICU
- Commonly associated with insertion of a device
- 6th leading cause of death
- Estimated to cost hospitals $5.9 billion per year
- Increasing numbers of HAI are resistant to one or more antibiotics
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide