This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
- Curriculum team, in parallel with foregoing activities, develops HIE P&S Educational Toolkit as the first service offering of the Kansas HIE resource center
- Educational objectives described by Planning team
- Course content contributed by Legal team
- Teaching strategies recommend by education experts
- Multi-state collaboration teams
- Harmonizing state privacy law: KS, ID, KY, MI, FL, NM, TX
- Consumer education and engagement: KS, CO, GA, MA, NJ, NY, OR, WA, WV
The multi-state collaborative teams met in Denver earlier this month to discuss the needs of each state and to organize plans for moving ahead with HIE work.
Harmonizing State Privacy Laws:
These states are working on similar issues such as cataloging their state specific HIE laws and regulations, and identifying the gaps and barriers to HIPAA.
The team is developing plans for 2008 which include:
A state law matrix for all 7 states that maps HIPAA to the individual state laws
The goal is to create a tool and analysis plan that other states can use to map their HIE laws
The team would like to develop a model law that includes standard definitions for HIE terms and clarifies areas where the majority of states' laws are misaligned with HIPAA.
Consumer Education and Engagement:
The collaborative will engage consumers in each state to learn how consumers perceive HIE and what is most important to them.
To help develop consumer education materials (e.g. documents, videos) that can be used by each state, the group will inventory existing HIE materials, partner with consumer organizations (e.g. AARP, ACLU, NAMI) and refine these tools to match consumer needs.
The collaborative will identify consumer target groups (e.g. ethnicity, age, culture, health status) and conduct focus groups to test their newly created education materials
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide