This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
KS Privacy and Security (II) Project
- Legal Review
- Catalog statutes and regulations related to health information privacy and security
- Draft statutory language, specifying baseline privacy and security standards
- HIT/HIE Privacy and Security Coordinating Entity and Educational Toolkit
- Produce governance documents and principles acceptable to a majority of stakeholders for statewide implementation of health information privacy and security strategies.
- Develop a curriculum targeted to a specific market segment, a teaching guide and a program evaluation plan.
KS has 16 health law attorneys focusing on legal review of KS HIE statutes and regulations.
These include attorneys affiliated with private firms, state agencies, and not-for-profit stakeholder organizations (e.g. KHA, KMS, KHI)
They have created an excel workbook which is organized by chapter (e.g. Public Health, Insurance, Mental Health) and contains links to each HIE related state law and regulation. The attorneys are analyzing this information to identify which laws require modernization.
The same group of attorneys will draft statutory language to manage compliance issues with KS law and HIPAA. The goal is to have KS laws that coordinate with HIPAA and support the same baseline privacy and security standards.
HIT/HIE Coordinating Entity:
The creation of a public/private partnership that is charged with managing HIE privacy and security standards and strategies is essential to help more KS providers and consumers welcome the adoption of electronic HIE.
This entity will be able to serve both providers and consumers needs for understanding more about HIE, the different technologies, and which technologies to adopt.
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide