This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Which is preferable?
- Depends on perspective
- Measure service efficiency if:
- The services to be delivered are specified
- E.g. Which hospital should be chosen for CABG?
- Measure episode efficiency if:
- Flexibility in the set of services delivered exists
- Decisions occur at episode level
- Can hold an entity accountable for the episode
- Can be used as indicators for entities with broader responsibility (health plan)
- E.G. Which providers group should manage CHD patients?
- E.g. Which health plan provides most efficient care for a set of sentinel conditions.
- Measure population efficiency if:
- Comparing health plans (or other entity responsible for populations)
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide