This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Output: What's Being Produced?
- We define two major categories of outputs:
- Health services
- Health outcomes
- Being explicit about the output is critical (and often not done)
- Producers tend to define outputs
- Financial flows (how the product is purchased) influence definitions, for example:
- Hospital day vs. a discharge
- Quality adjusted life year vs. a covered life
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide