This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Background and Significance:
Viability of Many Rural Hospitals is in Question
- Compared to their urban counterparts, rural hospitals:
- Are usually more geographically isolated.
- Are in smaller communities.
- Tend to be more dependent on Medicare funding.
- Have a higher proportion of outpatient services.
- Like their urban counterparts, rural hospitals:
- Face workforce shortages for nurses and other professionals.
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide