This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Medicare Hospital 30-Day Readmission Rates and Associated Costs, by Hospital Referral Regions, 2003
Two bar charts show:
- Rate of hospital readmission within 30 days:
- National mean: 18
- 10th Percentile: 14
- 25th Percentile: 16
- 75th Percentile: 20
- 90th Percentile: 22
- Readmission reimbursement as percent of total reimbursement for all admissions:
- National mean: 35
- Quartile 1 of regions ranked by readmission rates: 24
- Quartile 2 of regions ranked by readmission rates: 30
- Quartile 3 of regions ranked by readmission rates: 34
- Quartile 4 of regions ranked by readmission rates: 45
Data: G. Anderson and R. Herbert, Johns Hopkins University analysis of 2003 Medicare Standard Analytical Files (SAF) 5% Inpatient Data.
Source: Commonwealth Fund National Scorecard on U.S. Health System Performance, 2006
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide