This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Patient Fall Index
(falls per 100 patient days)
Line graph shows the number of falls before and after move to new unit:
- Before the move.
- 1997: 6 falls per 100 patient days
- 1998: 4 falls per 100 patient days
- After the move to new unit with single family-centered rooms and decentralized nurse stations
- 1999: 2 falls per 100 patient days
- 2000: 2 falls per 100 patient days
- 2001: 2 falls per 100 patient days
Source: A. Hendrich (2004). In Keeping Patients Safe: Transforming the Work Environment of Nurses. Quality Chasm Series, Institute of Medicine.
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide