This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Advancing Effective Health Care through Systems Development
On October 2-4, 2002, the Third National Conference on Quality Health Care for Culturally Diverse Populations: Advancing Effective Health Care through Systems Development was held in Chicago. The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) was a cosponsor.
Measuring the impact of cultural competence initiatives on outcomes will play a pivotal role in the advancement of a national cultural competence agenda. Building on the success and the recommendations from the first two conferences, the meeting's objective was to advance effective health care for culturally diverse populations by providing a national forum for addressing systems development, data, and measurement issues as they relate to the provision of high-quality care for these populations.
Featured speakers included:
- Joe Betancourt, Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School.
- Arlene Bierman, Center for Outcomes Effectiveness Research, AHRQ.
- Cindy Brach, Center for Organization and Delivery Studies (CODS), AHRQ.
- Nilda Chong, Institute for Culturally Competent Care, Kaiser Permanente.
- Lisa Cooper, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions.
- Robinsue Frohboese, Office of Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
- Guadalupe Pachoco, Office of Minority Health, HHS.
- Robert Ross, The California Endowment.
- Paul Schyve, Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.
- Mark Smith, The California HealthCare Foundation.
- David Thom, University of California San Francisco.
- Mara Youdelman, National Health Law Program.
Proceedings from the conference will be published. For more information, E-mail conference organizers at email@example.com or call (718) 270-7727.