This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
1. Orthopedic Network News. 2002 hip and knee implant review. CMS MedPar. Available at: www.OrthopedicNetworkNews.com. Accessed 9/8/03.
2. Acheson RM, Collart AB. New Haven survey of joint diseases. XVII. Relationship between some systemic characteristics and osteoarthrosis in a general population. Ann Rheum Dis 1975;34(5):379-87.
3. Peyron JG. Osteoarthritis. The epidemiologic viewpoint. Clin Orthop 1986;213:13-9.
4. Callahan CM, Drake BG, Heck DA, et al. Patient outcomes following tricompartmental total knee replacement. A meta-analysis postoperative alignment of total knee replacement. Its effect on survival. JAMA 1994;271(17):1349-57.
5. Tierney WM, Fitzgerald JF, Heck D, et al. Tricompartmental knee replacement: A comparison of orthopaedic surgeons' self reported performance rates with surgical indications, intraindications, and expected outcomes. Clin Orthop 1994;305:209-17.
6. Wright JG, Coyte P, Hawker G, et al. Variation in orthopedic surgeons' perceptions for and outcomes of knee replacement. Can Med Assoc J 1995;152:687-97.
7. Mancuso CA, Ranawat CS, Esdaile JM, et al. Indications for total hip and total knee arthroplasties. Results of orthopaedic surveys. J Arthroplasty 1996;11(1):34-46.
8. Coyte PC, Hawker G, Croxford R, et al. Variation in rheumatologists' and family physicians' perceptions of the indications for and outcomes of knee replacement surgery. J Rheumatol 1996;23(4):730-8.
9. Wright JG, Hawker GA, Bombardier C, et al. Physician enthusiasm as an explanation for area variation in the utilization of knee replacement surgery. Med Care 1999;37(9):946-56.
10. Malmlin LA, Melfi CA, Parchman ML, et al. Management of osteoarthritis of the knee by primary care physicians. Arch Fam Med 1998;7:563-7.
11. Bachmeier C, March L, Cross M, et al. A comparison of outcomes in osteoarthritis patients undergoing total hip and knee replacement surgery. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2001;9(2):137-46.
12. Baldwin J, Rubinstein RA Jr. The effect of bone quality on the outcome of ingrowth total knee arthroplasty. Am J Knee Surg 1996;9(2):45-9; discussion 9-50.
13. Beaupre L, Davies D, Jones C, et al. Exercise combined with continuous passive motion or slider board therapy compared with exercise only: a randomized controlled trial of patients following total knee arthroplasty. Phys Ther 2001;81(4):1029-37.
14. Bert J, Gross M, Kline C. Patient demand matching in total knee arthroplasty: is it necessary? Am J Knee Surg 2001;14(1):39-42.
15. Bert J, Gross M, Kline C. Outcome results after total knee arthroplasty: does the patient's physical and mental health improve? Am J Knee Surg 2000;13(4):223-7.
16. Bourne R, Rorabeck C, Vaz M, et al. Resurfacing versus not resurfacing the patella during total knee replacement. Clin Orthop 1995;(321):156-61.
17. Brown T, Diduch D, Moskal J. Component size asymmetry in bilateral total knee arthroplasty. Am J Knee Surg 2001;14(2):81-4.
18. Bullens P, van Loon C, de Waal Malefijt M, et al. Patient satisfaction after total knee arthroplasty: a comparison between subjective and objective outcome assessments. J Arthroplasty 2001;16(6):740-7.
19. Saleh KJ, Radosevich DM, Kassim RA, et al. Comparison of commonly used orthopaedic outcome measures using palm-top computers and paper surveys. J Orthop Res 2002;20(6):1146-51.
20. Cloutier J, Sabouret P, Deghrar A. Total knee arthroplasty with retention of both cruciate ligaments. A 9 to 11 year follow-up study. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol 2001;11(1):41-6.
21. Cohen R, Forrest C, Benjamin J. Safety and efficacy of bilateral total knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 1997;12(5):497-502.
22. Deshmukh R, Hayes J, Pinder I. Does body weight influence outcome after total knee arthroplasty? A 1-year analysis. J Arthroplasty 2002;17(3):315-9.
23. Diduch D, Insall J, Scott W, et al. Total knee replacement in young, active patients. Long-term follow-up and functional outcome. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1997;79(4):575-82.
24. Duffy G, Berry D, Rand J. Cement versus cementless fixation in total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop 1998; (356):66-72.
25. Elke R, Meier G, Warnke K, et al. Outcome analysis of total knee-replacements in patients with rheumatoid arthritis versus osteoarthritis. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 1995;114(6):330-4.
26. Evanich C, Tkach T, von Glinski S, et al. 6- to 10-year experience using countersunk metal-backed patellas. J Arthroplasty 1997;12(2):149-54.
27. Ewald F, Wright R, Poss R, et al. Kinematic total knee arthroplasty: a 10- to 14-year prospective follow-up review. J Arthroplasty 1999;14(4):473-80.
28. Fortin P, Clarke A, Joseph L, et al. Outcomes of total hip and knee replacement: preoperative functional status predicts outcomes at six months after surgery. Arthritis Rheum 1999;42(8):1722-8.
29. Gill G, Joshi A. Long-term results of cemented, posterior cruciate ligament-retaining total knee arthroplasty in osteoarthritis. Am J Knee Surg 2001;14(4):209-14.
30. Gill G, Joshi A, Mills D. Total condylar knee arthroplasty. 16- to 21-year results. Clin Orthop 1999;(367):210-5.
31. Gioe T, Bowman K. A randomized comparison of all-polyethylene and metal-backed tibial components. Clin Orthop 2000;(380):108-15.
32. Griffin F, Scuderi G, Insall J, et al. Total knee arthroplasty in patients who were obese with 10 years followup. Clin Orthop 1998;(356):28-33.
33. Harwin S. Patellofemoral complications in symmetrical total knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 1998;13(7):753-62.
34. Hawker G, Wright J, Coyte P, et al. Health-related quality of life after knee replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1998;80(2):163-73.
35. Hasegawa M, Ohashi T, Uchida A. Heterotopic ossification around distal femur after total knee arthroplasty. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2002;122(5):274-8.
36. Healy W, Iorio R, Ko J, et al. Impact of cost reduction programs on short-term patient outcome and hospital cost of total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2002;84-A(3):348-53.
37. Heck D, Robinson R, Partridge C, et al. Patient outcomes after knee replacement. Clin Orthop 1998;(356):93-110.
38. Hsu R, Tsai Y, Huang T, et al. Hybrid total knee arthroplasty: a 3- to 6-year outcome analysis. J Formos Med Assoc 1998;97(6):410-5.
39. Hube R, Sotereanos N, Reichel H. The midvastus approach for total knee arthroplasty. Orthop Traumatol 2002;10(3):235-44.
40. Ikejiani C, Leighton R, Petrie D. Comparison of patellar resurfacing versus nonresurfacing in total knee arthroplasty. Can J Surg 2000;43(1):35-8.
41. Indelli P, Aglietti P, Buzzi R, et al. The Insall-Burstein II prosthesis: A 5- to 9-year follow-up study in osteoarthritic knees. J Arthroplasty 2002;17(5):544-9.
42. Jenny J, Jenny G. Preservation of anterior cruciate ligament in total knee arthroplasty. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 1998;118(3):145-8.
43. Jones CA, Voaklander DC, Johnston DW, et al. The effect of age on pain, function, and quality of life after total hip and knee arthroplasty. Arch Intern Med 2001;161(3):454-60.
44. Jordan L, Olivo J, Voorhorst P. Survivorship analysis of cementless meniscal bearing total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop 1997;(338):119-23.
45. Kiebzak G, Campbell M, Mauerhan D. The SF-36 general health status survey documents the burden of osteoarthritis and the benefits of total joint arthroplasty: But why should we use it? Am J Managed Care 2002;8(5):463-74.
46. Konig A, Kirschner S, Walther M, et al. Hybrid total knee arthroplasty. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 1998;118(1-2):66-9.
47. Konig A, Scheidler M, Rader C, et al. The need for a dual rating system in total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop 1997 Dec;(345):161-7.
48. Larson C, McDowell C, Lachiewicz P. One-peg versus three-peg patella component fixation in total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop 2001 Nov;(392):94-100.
49. Lin Y, Su J, Lin G, et al. Impact of a clinical pathway for total knee arthroplasty. Kaohsiung J Med Sci 2002;18(3):134-40.
50. Liu T, Chen S. Simultaneous bilateral total knee arthroplasty in a single procedure. Int Orthop 1998;22(6):390-3.
51. Lombardi Jr A, Mallory T, Fada R, et al. An algorithm for the posterior cruciate ligament in total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop 2001;(392):75-87.
52. Malkani A, Rand J, Bryan R, et al. Total knee arthroplasty with the kinematic condylar prosthesis. A ten-year follow-up study. J Bone Jt Surg Am 1995;77(3):423-31.
53. Martin S, McManus J, Scott R, et al. Press-fit condylar total knee arthroplasty. 5- to 9-year follow-up evaluation. J Arthroplasty 1997;12(6):603-14.
54. Matsueda M, Gustilo R. Subvastus and medial parapatellar approaches in total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop 2000;(371):161-8.
55. Meding J, Ritter M, Faris P, et al. Does the preoperative radiographic degree of osteoarthritis correlate to results in primary total knee arthroplasty? J Arthroplasty 2001;16(1):13-6.
56. Miyasaka K, Ranawat C, Mullaji A. 10- to 20-year followup of total knee arthroplasty for valgus deformities. Clin Orthop 1997;(345):29-37.
57. Mokris J, Smith S, Anderson S. Primary total knee arthroplasty using the Genesis Total Knee Arthroplasty System: 3- to 6-year follow-up study of 105 knees. J Arthroplasty 1997;12(1):91-8.
58. Mont M, Yoon T, Krackow K, et al. Eliminating patellofemoral complications in total knee arthroplasty: clinical and radiographic results of 121 consecutive cases using the Duracon system. J Arthroplasty 1999;14(4):446-55.
59. Moskal J, Diduch D. Postoperative radiographs after total knee arthroplasty: a cost-containment strategy. Am J Knee Surg 1998;11(2):89-93.
60. O'Rourke M, Callaghan J, Goetz D, et al. Osteolysis associated with a cemented modular posterior-cruciate-substituting total knee design : five to eight-year follow-up. J Bone Jt Surg Am 2002;84-A(8):1362-71.
61. Pereira D, Jaffe F, Ortiguera C. Posterior cruciate ligament-sparing versus posterior cruciate ligament-sacrificing arthroplasty. Functional results using the same prosthesis. J Arthroplasty 1998;13(2):138-44.
62. Ranawat C, Luessenhop C, Rodriguez J. The press-fit condylar modular total knee system. Four-to-six-year results with a posterior-cruciate-substituting design. J Bone Jt Surg Am 1997;79(3):342-8.
63. Rand J, Gustilo B. Comparison of inset and resurfacing patellar prostheses in total knee arthroplasty. Acta Orthop Belg 1996;62 (Suppl 1):154-63.
64. Regner L, Carlsson L, Karrholm J, et al. Clinical and radiologic survivorship of cementless tibial components fixed with finned polyethylene pegs. J Arthroplasty 1997;12(7):751-8.
65. Rinta-Kiikka I, Savilahti S, Pajamaki J, et al. A five to seven years follow-up of 102 cementless Synatomic knee arthroplasties. Ann Chir Gynaecol 1996;85(1):77-85.
66. Ritter M, Worland R, Saliski J, et al. Flat-on-flat, nonconstrained, compression molded polyethylene total knee replacement. Clin Orthop 1995; Dec(321):79-85.
67. Rodriguez J, Saddler S, Edelman S, et al. Long-term results of total knee arthroplasty in class 3 and 4 rheumatoid arthritis. J Arthroplasty 1996;11(2):141-5.
68. Schroder H, Berthelsen A, Hassani G, et al. Cementless porous-coated total knee arthroplasty: 10-year results in a consecutive series. J Arthroplasty 2001;16(5):559-67.
69. Sextro G, Berry D, Rand J. Total knee arthroplasty using cruciate-retaining kinematic condylar prosthesis. Clin Orthop 2001 Jul;388:33-40.
70. Stickles B, Phillips L, Brox W, et al. Defining the relationship between obesity and total joint arthroplasty. Obes Res 2001;9(3):219-23.
71. Title C, Rodriguez J, Ranawat C. Posterior cruciate-sacrificing versus posterior cruciate-substituting total knee arthroplasty: a study of clinical and functional outcomes in matched patients. J Arthroplasty 2001;16(4):409-14.
72. Ververeli P, Sutton D, Hearn S, et al. Continuous passive motion after total knee arthroplasty. Analysis of cost and benefits. Clin Orthop 1995 Dec;(321):208-15.
73. Worland R, Arredondo J, Angles F, et al. Home continuous passive motion machine versus professional physical therapy following total knee replacement. J Arthroplasty 1998;13(7):784-7.
74. Yang K, Yeo S, Lee B, et al. Total knee arthroplasty in diabetic patients: a study of 109 consecutive cases. J Arthroplasty 2001;16(1):102-6.
75. Saleh KJ, Dykes DC, Tweedie RL, et al. Functional outcome after total knee arthroplasty revision: a meta-analysis. J Arthroplasty 2002;17(8):967-77.
76. Gofton WT, Tsigaras H, Butler RA, et al. Revision total knee arthroplasty: fixation with modular stems. Clin Orthop 2002;(404):158-68.
77. Nazarian DG, Mehta S, Booth RE Jr. A comparison of stemmed and unstemmed components in revision knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop 2002;(404):256-62.
78. Brooks DH, Fehring TK, Griffin WL, et al. Polyethylene exchange only for prosthetic knee instability. Clin Orthop 2002;(405):182-8.
79. Springer BD, Hanssen AD, Sim FH, et al. The kinematic rotating hinge prosthesis for complex knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop 2001;(392):283-91.
80. Benjamin J, Engh G, Parsley B, et al. Morselized bone grafting of defects in revision total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop 2001;(392):62-7.
81. Parvizi J, Seel MJ, Hanssen AD, et al. Patellar component resection arthroplasty for the severely compromised patella. Clin Orthop 2002;(397):356-61.
82. Lonner JH, Lotke PA, Kim J, et al. Impaction grafting and wire mesh for uncontained defects in revision knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop 2002;(404):145-51.
83. Jones RE, Skedros JG, Chan AJ, et al. Total knee arthroplasty using the S-ROM mobile-bearing hinge prosthesis. J Arthroplasty 2001;16(3):279-87.
84. Christensen CP, Crawford JJ, Olin MD, et al. Revision of the stiff total knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 2002;17(4):409-15.
85. Hanssen AD. Bone-grafting for severe patellar bone loss during revision knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2001;83-A(2):171-6.
86. Babis GC, Trousdale RT, Morrey BF. The effectiveness of isolated tibial insert exchange in revision total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2002;84-A(1):64-8.
87. Leopold SS, Silverton CD, Barden RM, et al. Isolated revision of the patellar component in total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2003;85-A(1):41-7.
88. Miller M, Benjamin JB, Marson B, et al. The effect of implant constraint on results of conversion of unicompartmental knee arthroplasty to total knee arthroplasty. Orthopedics 2002;25(12):1353-7; discussion 1357.
89. Werle JR, Goodman SB, Imrie SN. Revision total knee arthroplasty using large distal femoral augments for severe metaphyseal bone deficiency: a preliminary study. Orthopedics 2002;25(3):325-7.
90. Dunlop DD, Song J, Manheim LM, et al. Racial disparities in joint replacement use among older adults. Med Care 2003;41(2):288-98.
91. Wilson MG, May DS, Kelly JJ. Racial differences in the use of total knee arthroplasty for osteoarthritis among older Americans. Ethn Dis 1994;4(1):57-67.
92. Escarce JJ, Epstein KR, Colby DC, et al. Racial differences in the elderly's use of medical procedures and diagnostic tests. Am J Public Health 1993;83(7):948-54.
93. Katz B, Freund D, Heck D, et al. Demographic variation in the rate of knee replacement: a multi-year analysis. Health Serv Res 1996;31(2):125-40.
94. Hawker GA, Wright JG, Coyte PC, et al. Differences between men and women in the rate of use of hip and knee arthroplasty.[comment]. N Engl J Med 2000;342(14):1016-22.
95. McBean AM, Gornick M. Differences by race in the rates of procedures performed in hospitals for Medicare beneficiaries. Health Care Financ Rev 1994 Summer;15(4):77-90.
96. Insall JN, Dorr LD, Scott RD, et al. Rationale of
the Knee Society clinical rating system. Clin Orthop 1989 Nov;(248):13-4.
97. Alicea J. Scoring systems and their validation for the arthritic knee. In: Insall JN, Churchill SN, eds. Surgery of the Knee, 3rd ed. New York: Livingston; 2001:1507-15.
98. Bellamy N, Buchanan WW, Goldsmith CH, et al. Validation study of WOMAC: A health status instrument for measuring clinically important patient relevant outcomes to antirheumatic drug therapy in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee. J Rheumatol 1988;15(12):1833-40.
99. Leclere JR, Gent M, Hirst J, et al. The incidence
of symptomatic venous thromboembolism during and after prophylaxis with
enoxaparin: a multi-institutional cohort study of patients who underwent
hip or knee arthroplasty. Canadian Collaborative Group. Arch Intern
Med 1998; 158(8):873-8.
100. Mauerhan DR, Nelson CL, Smith DL, et al. Prophylaxis
against infection in total joint arthroplasty. One day of cefuroxime
compared with three days of cefazolin. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1994
Return to Contents
AHRQ Publication Number 04-E006-1
Current as of December 2003