This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Updated through March 31, 1998
This bibliography is from the Final Report of the Low-Birthweight Patient Outcomes Research Team (PORT). Select for clinical highlights or the abstract.
The Final Report (AHCPR Publication No. 98-N005) is available in limited quantities from the AHCPR Publications Clearinghouse (P.O. Box 8547, Silver Spring, MD 20907, Telephone 800-358-9295). When supplies are exhausted, bound copies and microfiche can be purchased from the National Technical Information Clearinghouse (NTIS), Springfield, VA 22161 (Telephone 703-605-6000 in Virginia or 800-553-6847 toll-free). To order, request NTIS Accession No. PB98-156565.
Papers in Press
Papers Under Review
Books, Chapters, and Non-Peer Reviewed Publications
Peer-Reviewed Abstracts and Presentations
PORT Findings in the Media and Popular Press
1. Andrews WW, Shah SR, Goldenberg RL, Cliver SP, Hauth JC, Cassell GH. Association of post-cesarean delivery endometritis
with colonization of the chorioamnion by ureaplasma urealyticum. Obstet Gynecol 1995;85(4):509-514.
2. Andrews WW, Goldenberg RL, Hauth JC. Preterm labor: emerging role of genital tract infections. Infectious Agents and Disease
3. Andrews WW, Lee HH, Roden WJ, Mott CW. Detection of genitourinary tract chlamydia trachomatis infection in pregnant
women by ligase chain reaction assay. Obstet Gynecol 1997;89(4):556-560.
4. Atkinson MW, Goldenberg RL. The riddle of prematurity. The Female Patient 1994;19:67-77.
5. Atkinson MW, Maher JE, Owen J. The predictive value of umbilical artery Doppler studies for preeclampsia or fetal growth
retardation in a preeclampsia prevention trial. Obstet Gynecol 1994;83(4):609-612.
6. Atkinson MW, Goldenberg RL, Gaudier FL, Cliver SP, Nelson KG, Merkatz IR, Hauth JC. Maternal corticosteroid and tocolytic
treatment and morbidity and mortality in very low birth weight infants. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1995;173(1):299-305.
7. Atkinson MW, Guinn D, Owen J, Hauth JC. Does magnesium sulfate affect the length of labor induction in women with
pregnancy-associated hypertension? Am J Obstet Gynecol 1995;173(4):1219-1222.
8. Bateman DA, Phibbs CS, Joyce T, Heagarty MC. The hospital cost of congenital syphilis. J Pediatrics 1997;130(5):752-758.
9. Blair C, Ramey CT, Hardin JM. Early intervention for low birthweight, premature infants: participation and intellectual
development. Am J on Mental Retardation 1995;99(5):542-554.
10. Blankson ML, Cliver SP, Goldenberg RL, Hickey CA, Jin J, DuBard MB. Health behavior and outcomes in sequential
pregnancies of black and white adolescents. JAMA 1993;269(11):1401-1403.
11. Blankson ML, Goldenberg RL, Keith B. Noncompliance of high-risk pregnant women in keeping appointments at an obstetric
complications clinic. South Med J 1994;87(6):634-638.
12. Bronstein JM, Capilouto E, Carlo WA, Haywood JL, Goldenberg RL. Access to neonatal intensive care for low-birthweight
infants: the role of maternal characteristics. Am J Public Health 1995;85(3):357-361.
13. Bronstein JM, Goldenberg RL. Practice variation in the use of corticosteroids: a comparison of eight datasets. Am J Obstet
14. Bronstein JM, Cliver SP, Goldenberg RL. Practice variation in the use of intervention in high risk obstetrics. In Press Health
Services Research 1998;32(6):825-839.
15. Chazotte C. Asthma in pregnancy: a review. J of the Assn for Academic Minority Physicians 1994;5(3):107-110.
16. Chazotte C, Youchah JR. Effects of maternal substance abuse. Current Opinion in Psychiatry 1994;7:397-399.
17. Chazotte C, Youchah J, Freda MC. Cocaine use during pregnancy and low birthweight: the impact of prenatal care and drug
treatment. Seminars in Perinatology 1995;19(4):293-300.
18. Cliver SP, Goldenberg RL, Cutter GR, Hoffman HJ, Davis RO, Nelson KG. The effect of cigarette smoking on neonatal
anthropometric measurements. Obstet Gynecol 1995;85(4):625-630.
19. Copper RL, Goldenberg RL, DuBard MB, Davis RO. Risk factors for fetal death in white, black, and Hispanic women. Obstet
Gynecol 1994;84(4 Pt 1):490-495.
20. Copper RL, Goldenberg RL, DuBard MB, Hauth JC, Cutter GR. Cervical examination and tocodynamometry at 28 weeks' gestation: prediction of spontaneous preterm birth. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1995;172(1 Pt 1):666-671.
21. Copper RL, DuBard MB, Goldenberg RL, Oweis AI. The relationship of maternal attitude toward weight gain to weight gain during pregnancy and low birth weight. Obstet Gynecol 1995;85(4):590-595.
22. Divon MY. Randomized controlled trials of umbilical artery Doppler velocimetry: how many are too many? [editorial]
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 1995;6:377-379.
23. Divon MY. Umbilical artery Doppler velocimetry: clinical utility in high-risk pregnancies. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1996;174(1 Pt
24. Fargason CA, Peralta-Carcelen M, Rouse DJ, Cutter GR, Goldenberg RL. The pediatric costs of strategies for minimizing the
risk of early onset group B streptococcal disease. In Press Obstet Gynecol 1997;90:347-352.
25. Freda MC, Chazotte C, Youchah J. What do we know about how to enroll and retain pregnant drug users in prenatal care? J Women's Health 1995;4(1):55-63.
26. Freda MC, DeVore N. Should intravenous hydration be the first line of defense with threatened preterm labor? A critical review
of the literature. J Perinatology 1996;16(5):385-389.
27. Gardner M, Goldenberg R, Gaudier F, DuBard M, Nelson K, Hauth J. Predicting low Apgar scores of infants weighing less than
1,000 grams: the effect of corticosteroids. Obstet Gynecol 1995;85(2):170-174.
28. Gardner M, Goldenberg RL, Cliver SP, Tucker JM, Nelson KG, Copper RL et al. The origin and outcome of preterm twin
pregnancies. Obstet Gynecol 1995;85(4):553-557.
29. Gardner M, Goldenberg RL. The influence of race and previous pregnancy outcome on outcomes in the current pregnancy.
Seminars in Perinatology 1995;19(3):191-196.
30. Gardner M, Goldenberg RL. The clinical use of antenatal corticosteroids. Clin Obstet Gynecol 1995;38(4):746-754.
31. Gardner M, Goldenberg R, Cliver S, Cutter G. Ethnicity and sources of prenatal care: findings from a national survey. Birth
32. Gardner MO, Owen J, Skelly S, Hauth JC. Preterm delivery after indomethacin—a risk factor for neonatal complications? J
Reprod Med 1996;41(12):903-906.
33. Gardner MO, Rouse DJ, Goldenberg RL, Lanning J, Thom E, Zachary J. Cost comparison of induction of labor versus expectant
management in pregnancies lasting longer than 41 weeks. Am J Managed Care 1996; 2(7):814-818.
34. Gardner M, Bronstein J, Goldenberg RL, Haywood JL, Cliver SP, Nelson KG. Physician opinions of preterm infant outcome and
their effect on antenatal corticosteroid use. J Perinatology 1996;16(6):431-434.
35. Gardner MO, Goldenberg RL. Use of antenatal corticosteroids for fetal maturation. Current Opinion in Obstet Gynecol 1996;
36. Gardner M, Goldenberg R, Cliver S, Boots L, Hoffman H. Maternal serum concentrations of human placental lactogen, estradiol
and pregnancy specific B1-glycoprotein and fetal growth retardation. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 1997;S165(76):56-58.
37. Gaudier FL, Goldenberg RL, Nelson KG, Peralta-Carcelen M, Johnson SE, DuBard MB, Roth TY, Hauth JC. Acid-base status at
birth and subsequent neurosensory impairment in surviving 500 to 1000 gm infants. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1994;170(1 Pt 1):48-53.
38. Gaudier FL, Goldenberg RL, Nelson KG, Peralta-Carcelen M, DuBard MB, Hauth JC. Influence of acid-base status at birth and
Apgar scores on survival in 500-1000-g infants. Obstet Gynecol 1996;87(2):175-180.
39. Goldenberg RL, Cliver SP, Bronstein J, Cutter GR, Andrews WW, Mennemeyer ST. Bed rest in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 1994;84(1):131-136.
40. Goldenberg RL. The prevention of low birthweight and its sequelae. Preventive Med 1994;23(5):627-631.
41. Goldenberg RL, Hauth JC, DuBard MB, Copper RL, Cutter GR. Fetal growth in women using low-dose aspirin for the
prevention of preeclampsia: effect of maternal size. J Maternal-Fetal Med 1995;4:218-224.
42. Goldenberg RL, Klerman LV. Adolescent pregnancy—another look [editorial]. New Eng J Med 1995;332(17):1161-1162.
43. Goldenberg RL, Tamura T, Neggers Y, Copper RL, Johnson KE, DuBard MB, Hauth JC. The effect of zinc supplementation on
pregnancy outcome. JAMA 1995;274(6):463-468.
44. Goldenberg RL, Tamura T. Prepregnancy weight and pregnancy outcome [editorial]. JAMA 1996;275(14):1127-1128.
45. Goldenberg RL, Klebanoff MA, Nugent R, Krohn MA, Hillier S, Andrews WW. Bacterial colonization of the vagina during
pregnancy in four ethnic groups. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1996;174(5):1618-1621.
46. Goldenberg RL, Andrews WW. Intrauterine infection and why preterm prevention programs have failed [editorial]. Am J Public
47. Goldenberg RL, Cliver SP, Mulvihill FX, Hickey CA, Hoffman HJ, Klerman LV, Johnson MJ. Medical, psychosocial and
behavioral risk factors do not explain the increased risk for low-birth weight among black women. Am J Obstet Gynecol
48. Goldenberg RL, Tamura T, DuBard M, Johnston KE, Copper RL, Neggers Y. Plasma ferritin and pregnancy outcome. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1996;175(5):1356-1359.
49. Goldenberg RL, DuBard MB, Cliver SP, Nelson KG, Blankson K, Ramey SL, Herman A. Pregnancy outcome and intelligence at
age five years. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1996;175(6):1511-1515.
50. Goldenberg RL, Rouse DJ. Preterm birth, cerebral palsy and magnesium. Nature Medicine 1997;3(2):146-147
51. Goldenberg RL, Andrews WW, Yuan A, McKay T, St. Louis M. Sexually transmitted diseases and adverse outcomes of
pregnancy. Clinics in Perinatology 1997;24(1):23-41.
52. Goldenberg RL, Tamura T, DuBard M, Johnston KE, Copper RL, Neggers Y. Plasma alkaline phosphatase and pregnancy
outcome. J Maternal Fetal Med 1997;6:140-145.
53. Goldenberg RL, Cliver SP, Cutter GR, Hoffman HJ, Copper RL, DuBard MD. The relationship between maternal characteristics
and fetal and neonatal anthropometric measurements in women delivering at term: a summary. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 1997;S165(76):8-13.
54. Goldenberg RL, Hickey CA, Cliver SP, Gotlieb S, Woolley TW, Hoffman JH. Abbreviated scale for the assessment of
psychosocial status in pregnancy: development and evaluation. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 1997;S165(76):19-29.
55. Goldenberg RL, Cliver SP. Small for gestational age and intrauterine growth restriction: Definitions and standards. Clinical
Obstetrics and Gynecology 1997;40(4):704-714.
56. Goldenberg RL, Andrews WW, Hauth JC. Markers of preterm birth. Prenat Neonat Med 1998;3:43-46.
57. Goldenberg RL, Hoffman HJ, Cliver SP. Neurodevelopmental outcome of small-for-gestational-age infants. Eur J Clin Nutr
58. Hauth JC, Goldenberg RL, Parker CR, Cutter GR, Cliver SP. Low-dose aspirin: lack of association with an increase in abruptio
placentae or perinatal mortality. Obstet Gynecol 1995;85(6):1055-1058.
59. Hauth JC, Goldenberg RL, Parker CR, Copper RL, Cutter GR. Maternal serum thromboxane B2 reduction versus pregnancy
outcome in a low-dose aspirin trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1995;173(2):578-584.
60. Hauth JC, Goldenberg RL, Andrews WW, DuBard MB, Copper RL. Reduced incidence of preterm delivery with metronidazole
and erythromycin in women with bacterial vaginosis. New Eng J Med 1995;333(26):1732-1736.
61. Hauth JC, Andrews WW, Goldenberg RL. Infection-related risk factors predictive of spontaneous preterm labor and birth. Prenat
Neonat Med 1998;3:86-90.
62. Haywood JL, Goldenberg RL, Bronstein J, Nelson KG, Carlo WA. Comparison of perceived and actual rates of survival and
freedom from handicap in premature infants. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1994;171(2):432-439.
63. Hickey CA, Cliver SP, Goldenberg RL, Kohatsu J, Hoffman HJ. Prenatal weight gain, term birth weight, and fetal growth retardation among high-risk multiparous black and white women. Obstet Gynecol 1993;81(4):529-535.
Also, condensed in Family Planning Perspectives 1993;25:281-282.
64. Hickey CA, Cliver SP, McNeal SF, Hoffman HJ, Goldenberg RL. Prenatal weight gain patterns and spontaneous preterm birth
among nonobese black and white women. Obstet Gynecol 1995;85(6):909-914.
65. Hickey CA, Cliver SP, Mulvihill FX, McNeal SF, Hoffman HJ, Goldenberg RL. Employment related stress and preterm delivery:
a contextual examination. Public Health Reports 1995;110(4):410-418.
66. Hickey CA, Cliver SP, McNeal SF, Hoffman HJ, Goldenberg RL. Relationship of psychosocial status to low prenatal weight gain
among nonobese black and white women delivering at term. Obstet Gynecol 1995;86(2):177-183.
67. Hickey CA, Cliver SP, McNeal SF, Hoffman HJ, Goldenberg RL. Prenatal weight gain patterns and birth weight among
nonobese black and white women. Obstet Gynecol 1996;88(4):490-496.
68. Hickey CA, Cliver SP, McNeal SF, Goldenberg RL. Low pregravid body mass index as a risk factor for preterm birth: variation
by ethnic group. Obstet Gynecol 1997;89(2):206-212.
69. Hickey CA, Cliver SP, Goldenberg RL, McNeal SF, Hoffman HJ. Low prenatal weight gain among low-income women: what are
the risk factors? Birth 1997;24(2):102-108.
70. Klesges LM, Murray DM, Brown JE, Cliver SP, Goldenberg RL. Relationships of cigarette smoking and dietary antioxidants
with placental calcification. American J Epidemiology 1998;147(2):127-135.
71. Klerman LV, Reynolds DW. Interconception care: a new role for the pediatrician. Pediatrics 1994;93(2):327-329.
72. Klerman LV, Klerman JA. More evidence for the public health value of family planning. Am J Public Health
73. Klerman LV, Phelan ST, Poole VL, Goldenberg RL. Family planning: an essential component of prenatal care. J Am Medical
Women's Assn 1995;50(5):147-151.
74. Leviton L, Baker S, Hassol A, Goldenberg RL. An exploration of opinion and practice patterns affecting the use of antenatal
corticosteroids. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1995;173(1):312-316.
75. Maher JE, Goldenberg RL. Outcomes of very-low-birth-weight infants after maternal corticosteroid therapy before 28 weeks'
gestation [letter]. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1993;169(5):1363-1364.
76. Maher JE, Davis RO, Goldenberg RL, Boots LR, DuBard MB. Unexplained elevation in maternal serum alpha-fetoprotein and
subsequent fetal loss. Obstet Gynecol 1994;83(1):138-141.
77. Maher JE III, Cliver SP, Goldenberg RL, Davis RO, Copper RL. The effect of corticosteroid therapy in the very premature infant.
Am J Obstet Gynecol 1994;170(3):869-873.
78. Neggers Y, Goldenberg R, Cliver S, Hoffman H, Copper R. The relationship between maternal skinfold thickness, smoking and
birthweight in black and white women. Pediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology 1994;8(2):216-221.
79. Neggers Y, Goldenberg RL, Cliver SP, Hoffman HJ, Cutter GR. The relationship between maternal and neonatal anthropometric
measurements in term newborns. Obstet Gynecol 1995;85(2):192-196.
80. Neggers YH, DuBard MB, Goldenberg RL, Tamura T, Johnston KE, Copper RL, Hauth JC. Factors influencing plasma zinc
levels in low-income pregnant women. Biological Trace Element Research 1996;55(1-2):127-135.
81. Neggers YH, Goldenberg RL, Tamura T, Cliver SP, Hoffman HJ. The relationship between maternal dietary intake and infant
birthweight. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 1997;S165(76):71-75.
82. Neggers YH, Goldenberg RL, Tamura T, Johnson KE, Copper RL, DuBard MB. Plasma and erythrocyte zinc intake and zinc
supplementation during pregnancy in low-income African-American women. J Am Diet Assoc 1997;97(11):1269-1274.
83. Nelson KG, Goldenberg RL, Hoffman HJ, Cliver SP. Growth and development during the first year in a cohort of low income
term-born American children. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 1997;S165(76):87-92.
84. Olausson PMO, Cnattingius S, Goldenberg RL. Determinants of poor pregnancy outcomes among teenagers in Sweden. Obstet
85. Peralta-Carcelen M, Fargason CA, Cliver SP, Cutter GR, Gigante J, Goldenberg RL. Impact of maternal group B streptococcal
screening on pediatric management in full-term newborns. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 1996;150:802-808.
86. Peralta-Carcelen M, Fargason C, Coston D, Dolan J. Preferences of pregnant women and physicians for two strategies for
prevention of early-onset group B streptococcal sepsis in neonates. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 1997;151:712-718.
87. Phibbs CS, Bronstein JM, Buxton E, Phibbs RH. The effects of patient volume and level of care at the hospital of birth on
neonatal mortality. JAMA 1996;276(13):1054-1059.
88. Piper JM, Atkinson MW, Mitchel EF, Cliver SP, Snowden M, Wilson SC. Improved outcomes for very low birth weight infants
associated with the use of combined maternal corticosteroids and tocolytics. J Reproductive Med 1996;41(9):692-698.
89. Rouse D, Goldenberg R, Cliver S, Cutter G, Mennemeyer S, Fargason C. Strategies for the prevention of early-onset neonatal
group B streptococcal sepsis: a decision analysis. Obstet Gynecol 1994;83(4):483-494.
90. Rouse DJ, Andrews WW, Goldenberg RL, Owen J. Screening and treatment of asymptomatic bacteriuria of pregnancy to prevent
pyelonephritis: a cost-effectiveness and cost-benefit analysis. Obstet Gynecol 1995;86(1):119-123.
91. Rouse DJ, Owen J, Goldenberg RL, Vermund SH. Zidovudine for the prevention of vertical HIV transmission: a decision
analytic approach. J Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 1995;9(4):401-407.
92. Rouse DJ, Owen J, Goldenberg RL, Cliver SP. Determinants of the optimal time in gestation to initiate antenatal fetal testing: a
decision-analytic approach. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1995;173(5):1357-1363.
93. Rouse DJ, Gardner M, Allen SJ, Goldenberg RL. Management of the presumed susceptible varicella (chickenpox)-exposed
gravida: a cost-effectiveness/cost-benefit analysis. Obstet Gynecol 1996;87(6):932-936.
94. Rouse DJ, Hauth JC, Nelson KG, Goldenberg RL. The feasibility of a randomized clinical perinatal trial: maternal magnesium
sulfate for the prevention of cerebral palsy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1996;175(3):701-705.
95. Rouse DJ, Owen J, Goldenberg RL, Cliver SP. The effectiveness and costs of elective cesarean delivery for fetal macrosomia
diagnosed by ultrasound. JAMA 1996;276(18):1480-1486.
96. Rouse DJ, Hauth JC, Andrews WW, Mills BB, Maher JE. Chlorhexidine vaginal irrigation for the prevention of peripartal
infection: a placebo-controlled randomized clinical trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1997;176:617-622.
97. Rouse DJ, Goldenberg RL, Wenstrom KD. Antenatal screening for factor V Leiden mutation: a critical appraisal. Obstet
98. Tamura T, Goldenberg RL, Johnston KE, DuBard MB. Effect of smoking on plasma ferritin concentrations in pregnant women.
Clin Chem 1995;41(8 Pt 1):1190-1191.
99. Tamura T, Goldenberg RL, Johnston K, Freeberg LE. In vitro zinc stimulation of angiotensin-converting enzyme activities in
human plasma. J Nutritional Biochemistry 1996;(7):55-59.
100. Tamura T, Goldenberg RL. Zinc nutriture and pregnancy outcome. Nutrition Research 1996;16(1):139-181.
101. Tamura T, Goldenberg RL, Johnston KE, Cliver SP, Hickey CA. Serum ferritin: a predictor of early spontaneous preterm
delivery. Obstet Gynecol 1996;87(3):360-365.
102. Tamura T, Johanning GL, Goldenberg RL, Johnston KE, DuBard MA. Effect of angiotensin-converting enzyme gene
polymorphism on pregnancy outcome, enzyme activity, and zinc concentration. Obstet Gynecol 1996;88(4):497-502.
103. Tamura T, Goldenberg RL, Cliver SP, Hoffman HJ. Serum concentrations of zinc, folate, vitamins A and E, and proteins, and
their relationships to pregnancy outcome. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 1997;S165(76):63-70.
104. Tamura T, Andrews WW, Johnston KE, Hemstreet GP, Goldenberg RL. Measurement of amniotic fluid interleukin-6 using
commercial kits. J Infectious Diseases Obstet Gynecol 1997;5:222-225.
105. Tamura T, Goldenberg RL, Johnson KE, Cliver SP. Serum leptin concentrations during pregnancy and their relationship to
fetal growth. Obstet Gynecol 1998;91(3):389-395.
106. Wenstrom KD, Hauth JC, Goldenberg RL, DuBard MB, Lea C. The effect of low-dose aspirin on pregnancies complicated by
elevated human chorionic gonadotropin levels. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1995;173(4 Pt 1):1292-1296.
107. Wenstrom KD, Andrews WW, Tamura T, DuBard MB, Johnston KE, Hemstreet GP. Elevated amniotic fluid interleukin-6
levels at genetic amniocentesis predict subsequent pregnancy loss. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1996;175(4):830-833.
108. Wenstrom KD, Owen J, Brumfield CG, Davis RO, DuBard MA, Garcia T. Significance of a false-positive trisomy 18
multiple-marker screening test. Obstet Gynecol 1997;90(6):938-942.
Return to Contents
Papers in Press
109. Goldenberg RL, Rouse DJ. The prevention of prematurity. N Engl J Med (In Press).
110. Guinn DA, Goldenberg RL, Cliver SP. Relationship of gestational age and cervical dilation to the timing of delivery. Am J Obstet Gynecol (In Press).
111. Kimberlin DF, Andrews WW. Bacterial vaginosis: association with adverse pregnancy outcomes. Sem Perinatol (In Press).
112. Haywood JL, Morse SB, Goldenberg RL, Bronstein J, Nelson KG, Carlo WA. Pediatricians who underestimate neonatal
outcome restrict the use of neonatal interventions. Pediatr 1998 (In Press).
113. Klerman LV, Cliver SP, Goldenberg RL. The impact of short interpregnancy intervals on pregnancy outcomes in a low income
population. Am J Public Health June 1998 (In Press).
114. Owen J. Prophylactic cesarean for prenatally diagnosed malformations. Clinical Obstet Gynecol Symposium on
Evidenced-based Obstetrics and Gynecology Rouse DJ, ed (In Press).
115. Phelan ST, Goldenberg RL, Alexander G, Cliver SP. Perinatal mortality and its relationship to reporting of low birthweight
infants AJPH (In Press).
116. Poole VL, Klerman LV, Flowers JS, Goldenberg RL, Cliver SP. Pregnancy intendedness and maternal behaviors in a
low-income high risk population. J Nursing Science (In Press).
117. Rouse DJ, Owen J. Decision Analysis. Clinical Obstet Gynecol. Pitkin RM, Scott JR, eds (In Press).
118. Rouse DJ, Owen J, Goldenberg RL. Routine maternal platelet count: an assessment of a technologically-drive screening
practice. Am J Obstet Gynecol (In Press).
119. Wenstrom KD, Andrews WW, Hauth JC, Goldenberg RL, DuBard MB, Cliver SP. Elevated second trimester amniotic fluid
interleukin-6 levels predict preterm delivery. Am J Obstet Gynecol (In Press).
Return to Contents
Papers Under Review
120. Andrews WW, Goldenberg RL, Tamura T, Wenstrom KD, DuBard M, Johnston KE. Correlation of Ferritin Levels with
elevated interleukin-6 in mid-trimester amniotic fluid. (Under Review).
121. Atkinson MW, Cliver SP, McNeal S, Cutter G, Malloy MH, Goldenberg RL. The association between maternal corticosteroid
and tocolytic therapy and neonatal outcome in very low birthweight infants (Under Review).
122. Barefield ES, Nelson KG, Cliver SP, Bishnoi R, Goldenberg R. Cost of neonatal care by gestational age and survival (Under
123. Cifuentes J, Bronstein J, Phibbs C, Phibbs R, Carlo WA. Risk for mortality according to level of neonatal care at birth in low
birthweight infants (Under Review).
124. Fargason CA, Peralta-Carcelen M, Cutter GR, Rouse DJ, Cliver SP, Goldenberg RL. Change in costs of pediatric care
associated with adoption of the consensus group B streptococcal pediatric care guidelines (Under Review).
125. Leviton LC, Goldenberg RL, Baker CS, Schwartz RM, Fred MC, Fish LJ, Cliver SP, Rouse DJ, Chazotte C, Merkatz IR,
Raczynski JM. Dissemination can affect practice: randomized controlled trial of methods to encourage the use of antenatal
corticosteroid therapy for fetal maturation (Under Review).
126. Phibbs CS, Bronstein JM, Buxton E, Phibbs RH. The effect of linking discharge data to birth certificate data on risk-adjusted
neonatal mortality (Under Review).
127. Poole VL, Flower JS, Goldenberg RL, Cliver SP. Pregnancy intendedness at early and late pregnancy in a low-income, high
risk population (Under Review).
128. Rouse DJ, Andrew WW, Lin C, Mott CW, Ware JC, Philips JB. Antibiotic susceptibility profile of vertically acquired group B
streptococcus. (Under Review).
Return to Contents
Books, Chapters, and Non-Peer Reviewed Publications
129. Blair C, Ramey CT. Early Intervention for Low Birth Weight Infants: The Path to Second Generation Research. In: M.
Guralnick (Ed.) The Effectiveness of Early Intervention: Second Generation Research. Baltimore: Paul H. Brookes Co., 1996:77-97.
130. Goldenberg RL. Small for Gestational Age infants. In: Reproductive Health Care for Women and Babies. Section V. Impact of
Adverse Infant Outcomes. Edited by BP Sachs, R Beard, E Papiernick, C Russell. Oxford University Press, New York,
131. Goldenberg RL, Andrews WW. Pregnancy Outcomes Related to Infectious Diseases. In: Trent McKay (Eds.), STDs and
Adverse Outcomes in Pregnancy Meeting. Centers for Disease Control, May 1994. In Press.
132. Goldenberg RL, Bronstein JM. Preventing Low Birthweight. In: Wallace HH, Sweeny PJ (Eds.), Maternal and Child Health Practices. 4th Edition. Oakland, CA: Third Party Publishing Company, 1994.
133. Goldenberg RL. Routine iron supplementation during pregnancy: Commentary 1. Abstracts of Clinical Care Guidelines
134. Goldenberg RL, Nelson KG. Cerebral Palsy. In: Creasy R, Resnick R (Eds.), Maternal-Fetal Medicine: Principals and Practice. 4th Edition. Saunders Publishing (In Press).
135. Klerman LV, Merkatz IR. Maternity-Related Health Care in the United States. In: Sachs BP, Beard R, Papiernik E, Russell C
(Eds.) Reproductive Health Care for Women and Babies. Policy and Ethics. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 1995; 207-235.
136. Klerman LV. Promoting the Health of Women and Children. In: DiClemente R, Raczynski R (Eds.), Handbook of Health
Promotion and Disease Prevention. (In Press).
137. Ramey CT, Shearer D. Conceptual Framework for Interventions for Low Birthweight and Premature Children. In: E. Goldson
(Ed.), Nurturing the Premature Infant: Developmental Interventions in the Neonatal Intensive Care Nursery. Oxford University
Press. In Press
138. Ramey CT, Ramey SL. Early Intervention: Optimizing Development for Children with Disabilities and Risk Conditions. In: M.
Wolraich (Ed.), Disorders of Development and Learning: A Practical Guide to Assessment and Management. 2nd Edition.
Philadelphia: Mosby-Year Book, Inc., 1996:141-158.
139. Rouse DJ (Ed.). Symposium on Evidence-based Practice. In: Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology, June 1998 (In Press).
Return to Contents
140. Andrews WW, Hauth JC, Goldenberg RL, DuBard M, Chandra G, Copper RL. Single and multiple markers of altered vaginal
flora: effect of treatment on preterm birth (PTB) (In Manuscript).
141. Bronstein JM, Phibbs CS, Phibbs RH. Impact of payer source on neonatal mortality: California 1990. (In Manuscript).
142. Chazotte C, Youchah J, Ross C. Prenatal alcohol exposure: prevalence, effects, and interventions. A review. (In Manuscript).
143. Fish LJ, Leviton LC, Goldenberg RL, Schwartz RM, Raczynski JM, Rouse DJ, Baker CS, Cliver SP, Freda MC. Statistical
modeling of changes in practice after guideline dissemination. (In Manuscript).
144. Gigante J, et al. Impact of universal screening for group B streptococcus on management of mildly symptomatic term infants
145. Klerman L. Family Planning: Need and opportunities (In Manuscript).
Presented at "The effectiveness of Prenatal Care: New Evidence, New Paradigms." Harvard, June 27, 1997. Boston, MA.
146. Leviton LC, Goldenberg RL, Raczynski JM, Schwartz RM, Baker CS, Cliver SP, Rouse DJ, Freda MC, Fish LJ. Rationale and
methods for a dissemination study on antenatal corticosteroid therapy (In Manuscript).
147. Leviton LC, Baker CS, Freda MC, Fish LJ, Goldenberg RL, Rouse DJ, Schwartz RM. Exploratory qualitative and quantitative
analysis of a dissemination study on antenatal corticosteroid therapy (In Manuscript).
148. Morse S, Bronstein JM, Haywood J, Carlo W. Obstetricians' estimates of survival and freedom from handicap in extremely
preterm infants: results of a national survey (In Manuscript).
149. Peralta-Carcelen M, Jackson DS, Nelson KG, Royal SA. Growth and sexual maturation of extremely low birth weight (ELBW)
adolescents (In Manuscript).
150. Peralta-Carcelen M, Hart MB, Nelson KG, Hodgen B. Growth and cognitive outcomes of extremely low birth weight (ELBW)
adolescents (In Manuscript).
151. Peralta-Carcelen M, Goran MI, Nelson KG, Yuan A. Body composition in extremely low birth weight (ELBW) adolescents (In
152. Phibbs CS, Bronstein JM. The relation between obstetric risk factors and neonatal outcomes: use of linked birth, death and
maternal discharge abstract data (California 1990) to post identify infants at risk for poor neonatal outcome by level of care at
delivery (In Manuscript).
153. Phibbs CS, Bronstein JM. Analysis of prenatal care for high-risk women (California 1990 Linked Dataset): are there differences
by type of insurance or by minority status? (In Manuscript).
154. Phibbs CS, Baker LC, Wheeler SK, Phibbs RH. Can we explain the differences in neonatal mortality between patients insured
by health maintenance organizations and patients insured by other private insurance in California? (In Manuscript).
155. Poole VL, Cliver SP. Pregnancy intendedness and neonatal outcome in a low-income, high risk population (In Manuscript).
156. Ohsfeldt RL, Gohmann SF, Antel JJ. Unintended pregnancies, sample selection, and birth outcomes (In Manuscript).
157. Ramey SL, Klerman LV, Goldenberg RL, Hou J, Cliver SP, Steele R. A theory-driven approach to prenatal care: results of a
randomized trial of prenatal interventions targeted at low-income African-American women identified by selected risk factors (In
158. Schwartz RM, Bronstein J, Kellogg RJ, Zhao Q. Antenatal hospitalizations in 29 perinatal centers: utilization and resource use
Return to Contents
Proceed to Next Section