This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Figure 4. Hospital Stays and U.S. Population, by Age
Figure 4. Hospital Stays and U.S. Population, by Age (Text Description)
Percent of Adult Hospital Stays for U.S. Adult Population, by Age Group (in years)
- MHSA-related stays: 30.1%
- Non-MHSA related stays: 33.0%
- U.S. adult population, 2004: 51.4%
- MHSA-related stays: 29.7%
- Non-MHSA related stays: 25.9%
- U.S. adult population, 2004: 32.1%
- MHSA-related stays: 19.6%
- Non-MHSA related stays: 25.7%
- U.S. adult population, 2004: 11.8%
- MHSA-related stays: 20.6%
- Non-MHSA related stays: 15.4%
- U.S. adult population, 2004: 4.7%
Source for U.S. population figures: Population Division, U.S. Census Bureau, Table 1: Annual Estimates of the Population by Sex and Five-Year Age Groups for the United States: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2005 (NC-EST2005-01) and related data file; released May 10, 2006.
Return to Document