This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Subcommittee on Consumer Rights,
Protections, and Responsibilities
- Peter Thomas, J.D., Chair.
- Christine Cassel, M.D.
- James Chao.
- Nan Hunter, J.D.
- Sylvia Drew Ivie, J.D.
- Randall MacDonald.
- Ronald Pollack, J.D.
- Stephen Wiggins.
Issues of Framework for the Subcommittee:
- promulgation of bill of rights and responsibilities.
- survey of existing consumer protections, enforcement mechanisms and remedies, and analysis of applicability to various populations.
- analysis of issues related to consumer choice of health insurance products, providers and treatments.
- consumer empowerment through enhanced knowledge, availability of information and involvement in clinical decisions.
- consumer assistance services, e.g., ombudspersons.
- attention to special populations, e.g., rural populations, disabled, chronically ill, terminally ill.
Background Papers (go to Meetings section of Web site)
[ About the Commission
| Commission Membership
| Press Releases
Last Revised: Tuesday, June 16, 1998