Concept Meets Action: Creating an Integrated Framework for Reducing Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care Quality (Text Version)
On September 28, 2010, Cecilia Casale made this presentation at the 2010 Annual Conference. Select to access the Microsoft PowerPoint version - 739.67 KB .
Concept Meets Action: Creating an Integrated Framework for Reducing Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care Quality
Cecilia Rivera Casale, PhD
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
Division of Priority Populations
September 28, 2010
Plan for the Session
- Cecilia Rivera-Casale
- AHRQ's Commitment to Quality Improvement and Disparities Reduction
- Francis Chesley
- Integrated Framework
- Marshall Chin and Don Goldmann
- Practical Exercise and Discussion
- Denise Dougherty– Facilitator
- Final Comments and Next Steps
- Francis Chesley
Background on Framework Presented Today
Stakeholder and Expert Meeting convened by AHRQ in October, 2009 focused on health IT as a tool to improve quality in under-resourced settings
Reasons to Focus on Health IT:
- Tool for QI interventions:
- Implementation requires changes in health care organizations.
- Has potential to address issues faced by under resourced settings.
Reasons to Focus on Settings:
- Disparities in healthcare quality are often related to:
- Where patients get care.
- Who cares for patients.
- Patient's personal, and social characteristics
Expert Meeting Follow-up
- AHRQ Health IT Portfolio request to develop a framework that brings together quality improvement and disparities reduction in health care and health outcomes focused on priority populations
- Need for developing combined framework was reiterated by Expert Meeting participants
Expert meeting report available at AHRQ Website: http://www.ahrq.gov/news/events/other/dispmtgsum09.html
Link to Medical Care Research and Review Supplement: http://mcr.sagepub.com/content/67/5_suppl/155S.full.pdf+html
Looking To the Future
- What is the most important outcome of this session?
Your input and ideas to:
- Continue the development of an action oriented research framework to reduce disparities.
- Guide AHRQ's future funding agenda aimed at reducing disparities in health and health care for priority populations.