This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Setting the Quality Agenda in Your Community
Purchasers of health care need tools to help them assess the quality of care in their communities and identify gaps or variations in the quality of care provided.
The Setting the Quality Agenda in Your Community Web conference was originally broadcast on Tuesday, February 10, 2009. Presentations were geared to health care purchasers (employers, unions, purchasing coalitions) and other organizations committed to improving the quality of health care in their communities. The Web conference featured experts from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) and the business community, who demonstrated how the tools described above can be used to measure and drive quality improvement.
Tools that were presented include:
- HCUPnet: A free, on-line query system based on data from the Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP). It provides access to health statistics and information on hospital inpatient and emergency department utilization.
- EQUIPS [now known as MONAHRQ (my own network, powered by AHRQ)]: Input your data, output your Website: A new Web-based tool that will enable host users-such as states, communities, and purchasers—to input, analyze and present their own utilization and quality information on their own Web sites in a format ready for use by consumers and other audiences.
- Prevention Quality Indicators Mapping Tool: A software application to help organizations better understand geographical patterns of hospital admission rates and allocate resources more effectively by calculating potential cost savings based on reductions in admission rates.
- CAHPS® (Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems): A public-private initiative to develop standardized surveys of patients' experiences with ambulatory and facility-level care.
This Web conference featured presentations from:
- Anne Elixhauser, Ph.D., Senior Research Scientist in the Center for Delivery, Organization and Markets at the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- Christine Crofton, PhD, Health Science Administrator in the Center for Quality Improvement and Patient Safety (CQuIPS) at the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- Cheryl DeMars, Chief Executive Officer of The Alliance.
Please select the following link to access the streamed archive of the Web conference.