This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Press Release Date: December 20, 2002
HHS Secretary Tommy G. Thompson today named 12 new members to the National Advisory Council for the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. The council provides advice to the Secretary and to the Director of the Agency. The council is comprised of 19 members from the private-sector and eight ex officio members from other federal health agencies.
"These 12 new members will be an invaluable resource in the ongoing effort to advise AHRQ on its policy direction and research portfolio," Secretary Thompson said. "Their imaginative and creative leadership will help the agency achieve its goal of improving the quality of health care services for all Americans."
The 12 new council members are:
- Donald Berwick, M.D., M.P.P., President and CEO, Institute for Healthcare Improvement, Boston.
- Timothy F. Cullen, Senior Vice President, Cobalt Corporation, Milwaukee.
- Lisa Egbuonu-Davis, M.D., Vice President and Medical Director, Pfizer, Inc., New York City.
- Barbara Ann Barth Frink, Ph.D., R.N., F.A.A.N., Enterprise Nurse Executive, Patient Care and ICU Systems, Cerner Corporation, Kansas City, Mo.
- Elena Fuentes-Afflick, M.D., M.P.H., Associate Professor in Residence, University of California, San Francisco.
- The Honorable Newt Gingrich, Senior Fellow, American Enterprise Institute, Washington, D.C.
- Brent C. James, M.D., Vice President for Medical Research and Executive Director, Institute for Health Care Delivery Research, Intermountain Health Care, Salt Lake City.
- Jonathan T. Lord, M.D., Chief Clinical Strategies and Innovation Officer and Senior Vice President, Humana, Inc., Louisville, Ky.
- Dennis O'Leary, M.D., President, Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, Oakbrook Terrace, Ill.
- Mark Pauly, Ph.D., Chair, Department of Health Care Systems, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia.
- Robert Rex Waller, M.D., President Emeritus, the Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minn.
- Pamela Jean Woods, Ph.D., Chief Nursing Officer and Administrator, University of New Mexico Hospital, Albuquerque, N.M.
The seven current council members are:
- Jo Ivey Boufford, M.D., Dean, Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service,
- New York University, New York City.
- Arthur Garson, Jr., M.D., M.P.H., Dean and Vice President, University of Virginia Medical School, Charlottesville, Va.
- Robert F. Meenan, M.D., M.P.H., M.B.A., Dean and Professor of Health Services, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston.
- Janice H. Platner, J.D., Director of Programs, National Breast Cancer Coalition Fund, Washington, D.C.
- W. Allen Schaffer, M.D., F.A.C.P., Chief Medical Officer, CIGNA HealthCare, Hartford, Conn.
- Marita G. Titler, Ph.D., R.N., F.A.A.N., Director, Research Quality and Outcomes Management, Department of Nursing Services and Patient Care, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa.
- Mary Katherine Wakefield, Ph.D., Director, Center for Rural Health, Grand Forks, N.D.
Select for more information on the Council.
For more information, please contact AHRQ Public Affairs, (301) 427-1364: Nancy Comfort, (301) 427-1866
(firstname.lastname@example.org) or Karen Migdail, (301) 427-1855 (email@example.com).