This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Press Release Date: December 9, 2005
HHS Secretary Mike Leavitt today announced the appointment of five new members to serve on the National Advisory Council for the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. In addition, the terms of two current members were extended. The Council provides advice to the Secretary and to the Director of the Agency. The Council consists of 21 members from the private sector and seven ex-officio members from other federal health agencies.
"These five new members bring a wealth of experience to improve the quality, safety, efficiency, and effectiveness of health care for all Americans," Secretary Leavitt said. "The expertise this group will go a long way toward helping the agency to achieve that goal."
The five new Council members are:
- Dale W. Bratzler, D.O., M.P.H., Principal Clinical Coordinator, Oklahoma Foundation for Medical Quality, Inc., Oklahoma City, OK.
- Patricia Flatley Brennan, R.N., Ph.D., Moehlman Professor of Nursing and Industrial Engineering, University Wisconsin-Madison, WI.
- Ada Sue Hinshaw, Ph.D., R.N., Dean and Professor of Nursing, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Carlos Roberto Jaen, M.D., Ph.D., Professor and Chairman, Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX.
- Munr Kazmir, M.D., Founder and CEO of Direct Meds, Inc., Leonia, NJ.
Appointments were extended for two Council members:
- Brent C. James, M.D., Vice President of Medical Research and Executive Director, Institute for Health Care Delivery Research, Intermountain Health Care, Salt Lake City, UT.
- The Honorable Newt Gingrich, Ph.D., Senior Fellow, American Enterprise Institute, Washington, DC.
For more information, please contact AHRQ Public Affairs: (301) 427-1866 or (301) 427-1855.