This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Press Release Date: April 9, 2007
Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) Secretary Mike Leavitt appointed six new members and reappointed two members to serve on the National Advisory Council for the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). The council, which consists of 21 members from the private sector and seven ex-officio members from other federal health agencies, provides advice to Leavitt and AHRQ Director Carolyn M. Clancy, M.D.
The first meeting for these new council members, newly chaired by reappointed member J. James Rohack, M.D., Senior Staff Cardiologist and Medical Director, Scott and White Health Plan, Scott and White Clinic, Temple, TX, will be held on Friday, April 13, 2007, at AHRQ.
The six new council members are:
- Jane F. Barlow, M.D., M.B.A., Well-being Director, IBM Corporation, Somers, NY.
- Timothy J. Brei, M.D., Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, the James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, Indianapolis, IN.
- M. Carolina Hinestrosa, M.A., M.P.H., Executive Vice-President of Programs and Planning, National Breast Cancer Coalition, Washington, DC.
- Thomas P. Miller, J.D., Resident Scholar, American Enterprise Institute, Washington, DC.
- Neil R. Powe, M.D., M.P.H., M.B.A., Professor of Medicine, Epidemiology and Health Policy & Management, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD.
- Anthony C. Wisniewski, J.D., Executive Director of Health Policy, U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Washington, DC.
In addition to Dr. Rohack, Andrew J. Fishmann, M.D., Director, Intensive Care, Good Samaritan Hospital, Los Angeles, CA, has also been reappointed to the National Advisory Council.
The council will meet on Friday, April 13, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. at AHRQ, 540 Gaither Road, Rockville, MD. No prior registration is required. The meeting, which is open to the public, will begin with an update on the status of the Agency's current research, programs, and initiatives.
The council also will discuss the new AHRQ improvement initiative, AHRQ's role in involving consumers in health care, and enhancing the activities of the National Advisory Council. An overview of the council and the meeting agenda are available on AHRQ's Web site at http://www.ahrq.gov/about/council.htm.
Individuals with disabilities requiring reasonable accommodations may contact Donald Inniss, Division of Equal Employment Opportunity, Program Support Center, by E-mail: Donald.Inniss@psc.hhs.gov, voice/relay at (301) 594-6665, or TTY at (301) 443-1972. Please submit your request at your earliest convenience, no later than 3 days prior to the meeting.
For more information, please contact AHRQ Public Affairs: (301) 427-1855 or (301) 427-1866.