Press Release Date: March 17, 2008
Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) Secretary Mike Leavitt appointed seven new members to serve on the National Advisory Council for the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). The Council provides advice to the Secretary and the Director of the Agency. The Council consists of 21 members from the private sector and seven ex-officio members from other federal health agencies.
"I am pleased that these seven new members bring their experience, expertise and dedication to help AHRQ advance its mission to improve the quality, safety, efficiency and effectiveness of health care for all Americans," said AHRQ Director Carolyn M. Clancy, M.D. "I am confident that their imaginative and creative leadership will go a long way toward helping the Agency continue to achieve that goal."
The seven new Council members are:
- Robert S. Galvin, M.D., M.B.A., Director, Global Health Care, General Electric, Fairfield, CT.
- Wishwa N. Kapoor, M.D., M.P.H., Director, Institute for Clinical Research Education, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Kathleen N. Lohr, Ph.D., M.A., Distinguished Fellow, Health Services Research, RTI International, Research Triangle Park, NC.
- Michael K. Raymond, M.D., Chief Medical Officer, Rush North Shore Medical Center, Skokie, IL.
- David Len Shern, Ph.D., President and CEO, National Mental Health Association, Alexandria, VA.
- William E. Smith, Pharm.D., M.P.H., Ph.D., Executive Associate Dean, School of Pharmacy, Virginia Commonwealth University, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA.
- Myrl Weinberg, President, National Health Council, Washington, DC.
The first meeting for these new Council members will be held on Friday, April 4, at AHRQ and will be chaired by J. James Rohack, M.D., Senior Staff Cardiologist and Medical Director, Scott and White Health Plan, Scott and White Clinic, Temple, TX.
For more information, please contact AHRQ Public Affairs: (301) 427-1855 or (301) 427-1866.
HHS Secretary Appoints New Members to AHRQ National Advisory Council. Press Release, March 17, 2008. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. http://www.ahrq.gov/news/press/pr2008/nac08mempr.htm