New guide helps patients take care of themselves after hospital discharge
Research Activities, December 2010, No. 364
AHRQ has a new guide to help prepare patients to take care of themselves at home after they leave the hospital. The guide, Taking Care of Myself: A Guide for When I Leave the Hospital, helps patients by suggesting important questions to be asked before leaving such as:
- Whom do I contact if I have a problem?
- What is my diagnosis?
- What medicines have I been prescribed and when should I take them?
- Which foods should I eat and what exercises should I do? Which should I avoid?
- When are my next medical appointments, and what should I know about them?
- What medicines can I safely take for headaches or other health problems?
You can download a copy of the guide at Taking Care of Myself: A Guide for When I Leave the Hospital . Print copies of the bilingual guide (English/Spanish) are available by sending an E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.