This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
For Health Care Purchasers and Providers
These two Web Conferences were designed to help health care purchasers
understand the evidence base for quality-based purchasing and public reporting, and to increase
their understanding of an important tool set available to assist with evaluations of health care
quality. The sessions were held October 21 and 27, 2004.
Select to access the Web Conference Sessions; all slides for each presentation are also available separately. Select for Playback Tips and Software Requirements.
While listening to the audio, you can also access the individual PowerPoint® slide presentations and manually move through the slides referred to by each presenter. There is a text version of each slide presentation as well as a text transcript of the entire audio portion of the Web conference.
Web Conference Sessions
The streaming presentations include the audio and slides presented during each event. Because this is a recording of the sessions, instructions to the participants are no longer relevant. To access each event, select Streaming Presentation. All slides for each event are available separately.
Select for Playback Tips and Software Requirements.
PowerPoint® files can be viewed with Microsoft® PowerPoint® or with a free PowerPoint® Viewer.
Event 1. Paying for Performance, October 21, 2004
This event was designed to help participants:
- Understand the evidence base for quality-based purchasing.
- Differentiate the various types of provider incentives (e.g., financial, reputational).
- Understand the scope of current purchasing experimentation underway and alternative design features.
- Understand perspectives of health care providers regarding pay-for-performance methods.
- Identify AHRQ-supported and other resources regarding quality-based payment strategies.
Streaming Presentation: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 (Length, about 1.5 hours; Text Transcript).
- Carolyn M. Clancy, M.D. (PowerPoint® Slides, 72 KB; Text Version).
- R. Adams Dudley, M.D., M.B.A.(PowerPoint® Slides, 100 KB; Text Version).
- Meredith B. Rosenthal, Ph.D. (PowerPoint® Slides, 72 KB; Text Version).
- Gary Young, J.D., Ph.D. (PowerPoint® Slides, 112 KB; Text Version).
- Robert Galvin, M.D., M.B.A. (PowerPoint® Slides, 239 KB; Text Version).
- Stephanie Alexander, M.B.A. (PowerPoint® Slides, 448 KB; Text Version).
Event 2. Using AHRQ Indicators for Hospital-Level Reporting and Payment, October 27, 2004
This event was designed to help participants:
- Explain the type of AHRQ QIs available for health care payers and providers to use.
- Retrieve information about the AHRQ QIs, their clinical significance, and the process used to develop them.
- Implement the AHRQ QIs appropriately.
- Explain the important limitations associated with using the AHRQ QIs for purchasing and consumer choice.
- Provide feedback and recommendations to AHRQ regarding ways to enhance the indicators to better support your needs.
Streaming Presentation (Length, about 1.5 hours; Text Transcript).
- Streaming video presentations demand a lot from your computer's resources. You may find that the streaming video works better if you close other applications and windows on your computer.
- To start, pause, or stop playback, use the buttons in the upper left corner.
- To jump ahead in the session, use the slider under the title bar.
To access the audio clips, you will need Real® player software installed on your computer. To download a free RealOne® player, go to http://www.real.com and select "Free RealOne® Player." Check the minimum requirements for each for your system; if you are a Macintosh or Unix/Linux user, select the player appropriate for your computer.
Follow the instructions provided for download and installation. If you are unsure of where you saved it on your computer, select "Start" on your navigation bar, then "Find," and search for "Real." When you find the folder, look for the "Set-Up" box, select that, and the installation will begin.
Current as of March 2005
Buy-Right for Health Care Quality: Evidence and Indicators.
Web Conference, broadcast on October 21 and 27, 2004. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. http://www.ahrq.gov/news/ulp/buyright/