November 19, 1998: Marc L. Berger, Merck & Co., Inc.
Response to AHRQ on CERTs
Some preliminary thoughts:
- One CERT should focus on curriculum reform for health professionals... emphasizing systematic population management compared to a patient by patient approach.
- Another could focus on continuing medical education (CME)... how to make it more meaningful. Family practice requires recertification—does this do anything?
- One focus could be on how incentives and benefits can be structured to increase socially desirable medical decision making?
- Demonstration projects that show how to translate evidence into practice.
- Off-label drug use ... how do practitioners learn and communicate about uses of medications that are not approved?
Marc L. Berger, M.D.
Outcomes Research and Management
Merck & Co., Inc. WP 39-162
West Point, PA 19486
Phone: (215) 652-5861
Fax: (215) 652-0860