Alternate Care Facility Patient Selection Tool
To be able to fill in the information needed for this tool, planners will need to conduct preliminary site assessments of the facilities being considered as alternate care sites.
This tool is meant for internal hospital use only. Patient information entered on this tool should be protected and treated with the same confidentiality as all your hospital’s patient information.
- To enter data on the tool, go to ACF & Patient Data. In the row labeled ACF Capabilities, enter the capabilities of the Alternate Care Facility (ACF) to which you are considering transferring patients.
- In the blank space at bottom left, enter the first patient you are considering for transfer. (Note: the program does not overwrite entered information. For subsequent patient entries, be sure to click an answer in each box in which that patient differs from the previous patient.)
- Review that patient’s current level of care in terms of the following:
- Determine that the patient is clinically stable enough for potential discharge/transfer
- Determine the minimum frequency of vital signs that are necessary for the ongoing care of this patient.
- If the patient is currently on supplemental oxygen, can this be discontinued or decreased?
- If the patient is currently on cardiac monitoring, can this be discontinued?
- If this patient is on IV meds, can these be discontinued or changed to comparable oral meds?
- If the patient has an IV, can it be discontinued?
- Determine if any oral medications may be discontinued.
- Review current standing laboratory orders.
- Determine the absolute minimum frequency and number of laboratory tests that are necessary for this patient’s ongoing care.
- Review all other ongoing therapies for this patient.
- Determine which of these may be discontinued or decreased in frequency.
- Based upon the established minimum level of care for each patient, review the following:
- Is this patient now suitable for discharge to home with follow-up as an outpatient or suitable for discharge to home with available home health care resources or services?
- If so, begin the discharge process.
- If the patient is not suitable for discharge and no ACF is available, move on to the next patient. If an ACF is available, continue below.
- Are there any therapies or monitoring required for this patient that cannot be supplied by the available ACF?
- If so, this patient is not suitable for transfer to the available ACF. Move on to the next patient. If not, consider this patient for transfer to your available ACF.
Begin Entering Patient Data
- Enter the first potential transfer patient’s identifier and data in the blank at bottom left.
- Execute the program by choosing the “Save New Patient & Re-Run” button.
- Enter another patient's data and repeat the process.
- Names of patients potentially suitable for transfer to the ACF will be green. Patients whose care needs exceed those of the ACF will be red.
- If the patient needs a service and the facility provides it, the check box for that service will be green and say “True”, and the service in the “AFP Capabilities” row will be checked.
- If the patient needs a service and the facility does not provide it, the check box for that service will be red and say “True,” and the service in the “AFP Capabilities” row will not be checked.
- If the patient does not need the service, the check box for that service will say false.