Figure 7. Sample Area Diagram: Phlebotomy (Text Description)
A Toolkit for Redesign in Health Care: Final Report
Figure 7 is an example of area diagram of movement through a hospital building for a phlebotomist.
A rectangle represents a stop at the lab.
A filled circle represents a stop for a routine blood draw.
A circle with a dot in the middle represents a stop for a STAT blood draw when the phlebotomist hand delivers the blood to lab.
Observation at the beginning of an evening shift showed that the phlebotomist spent 60 percent of her time attending to scheduled blood draws, and the remaining 40 percent responding to STAT calls. During this time, she was responsible for 11 blood draws with an average of 9 minutes per blood draw. She traveled to the core lab area on 4 occasions to transport and drop off the STAT blood draws. The area diagram helps to depict the geography of the area traveled by the phlebotomist in just an hour and 43 minutes of her 8-hour shift.
Note: Data in this chart are for illustrative purposes only.