Description of the 470 Medical Offices
2010 Preliminary Comparative Results: Medical Office Survey on Patient Safety Culture (continued)
Completed responses from the 470 medical offices came from 33 States. However, the medical offices that voluntarily participated in these data collection efforts may not be representative of all medical offices in the United States. Overall response results for the participating medical offices are summarized in Table 1.
In all tables, column percent totals may not add to exactly 100 percent because of rounding.
Medical office characteristics were obtained from a designated point of contact in each medical office. Tables 2 through 4 show the distribution of medical offices by total number of providers and staff, type of specialty, and number of medical offices by specialty.
As shown in Table 3, more than half of medical offices (56%) were single specialty.
The 470 medical offices represent a wide range of specialties, with most categorized as family practice/family medicine (291 offices) (Table 4).
Table 5 shows the distribution of medical offices by number of locations. Approximately two-thirds of medical offices (67%) had a single location, while the rest (33%) had multiple locations. Medical offices with more than one location had an average of 9 locations (ranging from 2 to 40 locations). Of the 152 medical offices with multiple locations, 48 indicated they were the primary/parent location and 104 indicated they were a satellite location.
Table 6 shows that almost half of medical offices (47%) were owned by a hospital or health system.
Table 7 presents the implementation status of five common electronic tools in the medical offices. The vast majority of medical offices (82%) had fully implemented electronic appointment scheduling, while only 37% of medical offices had fully implemented electronic ordering of tests, imaging, or procedures.
Table 8 presents the average number of patient visits per week per provider across all medical offices.i On average, the total number of patient visits per total number of providers was 69 (ranging from 1 to 450).
Description of Medical Office Respondents
- Staff category.
- Tenure in the medical office.
- Hours worked per week in the medical office.
According to the data on respondent characteristics shown in these tables:
- Twenty-eight percent of respondents were administrative or clerical staff, 21% were other clinical staff or clinical support staff, and 19% were physicians.
- About 60% of respondents had worked in their medical office for at least 3 years.
- About 78% of respondents worked in their medical office at least 33 hours per week.
i. The PBRN medical offices were asked to report two pieces of information: total number of patient visits in a typical week and total number of providers working in the medical office in a typical week. The pilot test medical offices were simply asked to report the average number of patient visits per week across all providers.