Evaluating the Impact of Value-Based Purchasing: A Guide for Purchaser
A Guide for Purchasers
This guide was developed for "Understanding How Employers Can Be Catalysts for Quality: Insights for a Research Agenda," a meeting convened by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). The meeting was held April 4, 2001, in Washington, DC. Dennis P. Scanlon, Ph.D., Pennsylvania State University; Michael Chernew, Ph.D., University of Michigan; and Hilary E. Doty, M.S., Pennsylvania State University prepared the guide. Lise Rybowski, of the Severyn Group, served as editor.
Although the authors take sole responsibility for the contents of this guide, the writing benefited greatly from the input and expertise of several individuals. We are grateful to Peggy McNamara, Jan De La Mare, and Irene Fraser of the Center for Organization and Delivery Studies at AHRQ for helping to define the purpose, focus, and scope of this guide. We also thank Paula Lantz of the University of Michigan School of Public Health for reviewing the manuscript and for providing insight regarding methods and applications for program analysis and evaluation. We appreciate the comments we received from Pat Salber, a physician with the Kaiser((word added)) Permanente Medical Group and medical director for General Motors Corporation, and other participants at the meeting. We also appreciate the capable research assistance of Kirat Kharode.
Finally, we are grateful to the following individuals for providing examples of specific purchasing evaluations:
- Frank Johnson, Maine Institute for Health.
- Jennifer Schultz, Cornell University.
- Sue Gerson, Kaiser-Permanente and General Motors Corporation.
- Ibrahim Ibrahim, Pennsylvania State University.
- Chris Wise, University of Michigan Hospitals.
- Cathy Meckes, Tri-Care Purchasing Coalition.
- Mark Cowen, Allegiance L.L.C.
- Jennifer Uhrig, Research Triangle Institute.
- Pam Short, Pennsylvania State University.