Project RED: Module 1: Preparing to Redesign Your Discharge Program
- Designed to oversee patient discharge preparation.
- Coordinates all discharge activities within patient population.
- Facilitates team activities and discharge planning rounds with primary MD.
- Collects discharge focused data.
- Ensures completion of discharge plan and demonstrated learning by the patient.
The discharge advocate (DA) role is a key component of the Project RED infrastructure. The DA position is designed so that the individual does not have additional work responsibilities, at least not during the hours he or she serves as the DA. Because of the responsibilities, it is recommended that a nurse or clinician fulfill DA duties.
The individual serving as the DA should have the following characteristics:
- Clinically competent — Understands the patient's condition and interfaces with the other members of the health care team.
- Confident — Is assertive, able to speak up in discussions with medical staff, and able to manage the teach-back process with patients.
- Adept at connecting with patients.
- Skilled with coordinating with members of the health care team.
- Exceptional communicator.