Project RED: Module 1: Preparing to Redesign Your Discharge Program
- Verifies physician orders.
- Reconciles admission medications with medications from home.
- Collaborates with care team specific to discharge needs.
- Reconciles medications upon discharge.
- Assists with patient medication questions.
The pharmacist's role in Project RED not only includes the traditional responsibilities of verifying orders and reconciling medications but also includes collaborative and teaching activities with the medical team and the patients. The pharmacist may participate in post-discharge phone call with the patient and family once specific questions pertaining to the medication schedule have been identified. Traditional methods of collecting data specific to medication reconciliation will be maintained within the hospital and pharmacy system.
A pharmacy representative should also serve on the project team.