Project RED: Module 1: Preparing to Redesign Your Discharge Program
Principles of the Re-Engineered Hospital Discharge
- Explicit delineation of roles and responsibilities.
- Discharge process initiation upon admission.
- Patient education throughout hospitalization.
- Timely accurate information flow:
From PCP > Among hospital team > Back to PCP
- Complete patient discharge summary prior to discharge.
There are 10 guiding principles that flow across the four training modules that are specific to the re-engineered hospital discharge process. Here we see that the re-engineered process requires well-defined roles and responsibilities for the various members of the health care team and that the process is initiated on admission. Patient education occurs throughout hospitalization. Information flows in a timely fashion across caregivers and settings and is comprehensive and accurate. The primary care physician (PCP) will send information to the hospital, and the hospital will then hand off very specific information to the PCP upon discharge through the discharge summary that will now be referred to as the Patient Care Plan.