Project RED: Module 2: The Re-Designed Discharge Process: Patient Admi
- Completion of care plan details
- Percent of care plans with medication list included
- Percent of care plans with care needs included (e.g., exercise, diet, main problem, when to call doctor)
- Percent of care plans with follow-up appointments listed
- Percent of care plans with pre-arranged discharge resources identified (e.g., home health, durable medical equipment)
- Percent of care plans with pending tests listed
These process metrics address the completeness of the Patient Care Plan. Like the time-related metrics, these process metrics may help you interpret the post-intervention outcome rates. If the care plan provided to the patient was complete, at least you know that the patient received all recommended content. The issue of the patient's understanding of the content may still exist, however.
If you choose to use these metrics, we recommend a copy of the Patient Care Plan be printed for the quality department, unless the plan is available to them electronically. The quality department staff can quickly review the plan against the list of items on a spreadsheet, indicating if the content was present or not.