14. Common Process Breakdowns Resulting in Potentially Avoidable Readm
Reducing Avoidable Hospital Readmissions
Common Process Breakdowns Resulting in Potentially Avoidable Readmissions (continued)
- Lack of timely post-discharge physician visit:
- Primary care physician unaware of hospitalization.
- Patient has no transportation to primary care physician.
- Patient has no primary care physician.
- Poor patient knowledge and non-disclosure of current drug therapy, and/or inadequate medication reconciliation, can yield drug therapy duplication or interaction.
- Many patients are unlikely to ascribe adverse effects to causes, might not ask for change in drug therapy.