6. How Many Readmissions are Available?
Reducing Avoidable Hospital Readmissions
How Many Readmissions are Available?
- Evidence suggests many rehospitalizations are preventable—
- Many rehospitalized before seeing a physician.
- Inter-hospital and inter-state variation.
- Randomized clinical trials testing interventions.
- What proportion of readmissions are truly "avoidable"? No one knows.
- Probably hospitals, physicians, HHAs, nursing homes and pharmacists can prevent more readmissions working together than hospitals can by improving discharge process alone.