Project RED: Re-Engineered Discharge (Staff Training)
Adopted by National Quality Forum as one of 30 U.S. "Safe Practices"
Eleven mutually reinforcing components:
- Medication reconciliation.
- Reconcile discharge plan with national guidelines.
- Follow-up appointments.
- Outstanding tests.
- Post-discharge services.
- Written discharge plan.
- What to do if problem arises.
- Patient education.
- Assess patient understanding.
- Discharge summary sent to PCP.
- Telephone reinforcement.
"There are key components of Project RED that may be different from how we currently prepare patients for discharge. This slide lists the 11 components of Project RED."